2.08.2013

Best Kept Designer Secrets Series!


I get lots of emails asking me a variety of questions regarding interior design.
Anything from how I create my design boards, floor plans, my favorite paint colors, or best fabrics. 
This gave me an idea, a series that reveals...
Designer or not, I think these tips can be helpful for everyone.
I plan on sharing my own secrets as well as a few from my favorite designers.
I think it will be fun!

Today I am going to start with sharing my #1 favorite design tool, how I create my floor plans!
When working for a client, I always create a floor plan to scale. This helps me determine the furniture arrangement as well as the exact size each piece needs to be.

I also always provide my clients with the floor plan to give them a better understanding of the lay-out and flow of the space.


In design school, I used a variety of programs that require expensive licenses, all of which I can't afford now!
I was thrilled when I found floorplanner.com
It's a website that allows you to create floor plans and save them under your own account.
It is very user friendly and has an extensive furniture library, making furniture plans quick to create!



Here is a screen shot of what the program looks like.
You simply create walls, add windows/doors, and drop in furniture.


You also have the option to view your floor plan in 3D.
I love this feature, it really helps you visualize your space!


Floorplanner.com allows you to create your first floor plan for free!
I don't know what I would do without this program, it is my absolute favorite design tool.
If you are thinking of buying new furniture, I highly recommend creating a floor plan first, you won't regret it!




24 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...the timing on this couldn't be better for me- going to experiment with it today- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this is a time saver, love the tip! Thanks for sharing Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Just starting to do some work for friends and also staging, this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea for a series, Danielle. I look forward to learning more from you! I'll be sharing this on the Worthing Court Facebook page this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Floorplanner looks like it would be fun to play around with. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great series! I've used Floorplanner in the past, I absolutely love the function and ease :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great resource, Danielle! I work on a Mac (and couldn't use AutoCAD on it even if I could afford it!) so I'll definitely be trying this out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much cheaper than AutoCAD, which I could never afford on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your blog. do you share the sources for the mood board above somewhere? i love the pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been using Floorplanner and it's fantastic! Glad to know others find it useful too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used this one and also Roomsketcher. It's another great one. You can also show your client the room as a perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great series! I can't wait to hear more of your secrets. Thank you for sharing with us! Yes, free is always better than spending a ton of money on AutoCAD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used that site when trying to figure out if a sectional would work in our family room...but i didn't know you could view 3-d! so cool! Can't wait for you to spill all your good secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea for a series and I'm so excited to try floorplanner.
    Thanks for sharing and keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, Danielle! You're absolutely the real deal. The information you've given is so easy to digest. Yes, it's true that one designer should always consider on having the floor plan as their first priority when decorating a room. This is where you'll be calculating everything - from spacing to positioning. The suggestion you've given is also brilliant. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Forex Market is very high for internet Business Users, Latest Forex updates, forex tips, Currency exchange rates, Daily updates news about Forex
    LatestFxMarket.Com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Most popular 2013 Cars and Vehicles, Latest Company Cars Huyndai, Honda, BMW, Nissan, New Aston, Ferrari and Most popular speed and Super Cars
    WorldLatestVehicles.Com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Danielle, thanks so much for the great tip! My living room area is a challenge... long and narrow with six windows and open on both sides! Hopefully this site will help with a perfect placement!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My good friend (she is not a blogger) recommended your blog and I'm so glad she did. I have perused some of your latest post and have found them so informative and helpful. I'm your newest follower and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Most popular 2013 Cars and Vehicles, Latest Company Cars Huyndai, Honda, BMW, Nissan, New Aston, Ferrari and Most popular speed and Super Cars
    WorldLatestVehicles.Com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Online Earning opportunities to make money online from home, Internet Online Business want to make money easy now.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. World's Most Popular Website where you can get every thing you want, Marketing and Advertising, Social Media Marketing, News updates, Entertainment Updates, Funny pictures, Entertainment Pictures, Hot pictures, Classified Websites, Mp3 Tunes, Online Jobs, Videos, Funny Videos and Much More Fun Mania
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails